Thursday, December 11, 2008

Grandma Kennedy Casserole...Spanish Style!

When I got back from Geneva, I made dinner for my roommates. They had a made a traditional Belgian dish for dinner one night, so I was returning the favor. Originally, I couldn’t decide what to make; they wanted an “American” dish, but we eat food from other cultures-nothing too distinct! So, I went with a “family” dish instead and made Grandma Kennedy Casserole. It was an adventure converting recipe measurements and finding all the ingredients. I ended up having to go to Corte Ingles, which is a very popular chain-store shopping center. I usually try to avoid it because it’s more expensive and I like the character of the local shops better.
Anyways, I found the pasta without any problems, and the cream of mushroom soup wasn’t too difficult, either. But, had to buy pre-formed patties to get the ground chuck, my cheese was an interesting blend of emmental (swiss), cheddar, mozzarella and semi-cured (a big fave in Spain and a new fave of mine!) and cream corn does not exist in Spain, so I had to settle for regular corn. After buying all the ingredients, my roommate informed me our oven didn’t work. I had thought of using it in the past, but had never tried because I didn’t know how to turn it on or work the temperature, etc. Well, I figured I’d just use the microwave…but I didn’t have a glass dish! I ended up borrowing a dish from my friend (it didn’t quite fit in the microwave, so it wouldn’t spin). I cooked the pasta and went to open the cans of cream of mushroom soup and realized I didn’t have a can opener! I tried a few different instruments (including, what turned out to be the Spanish version of a can opener) but couldn’t get the cans open. So, I headed across the hall the ask the neighbors…two weren’t home, the teenage boy in the other didn’t know his way around the kitchen and couldn’t find his mom and I could hear the crying baby in the 3rd apartment on my floor and decided NOT to interrupt! I went downstairs and the old man below me let me in and seemed happy to help (even though I didn’t know the word for can opener and had to say “the instrument for opening cans”)! He proceeded to pull out the same instrument I had unsuccessfully tried in my apartment (but mine was rusted and dull…that’s what I’m telling myself, anyways).


This can opener wasn´t working for me!


After a brief conversation with his wife where I explained that I was not, in fact, German, I returned to my apartment. For the most part, the rest of the meal went off without a hitch, and my roommates loved it. They kept saying it was very rich and delicious, so, regardless of the hiccups, I consider my meal a success!


Chloe and Margaux before enjoying Grandma Kennedy Casserole...yum!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Impressed by your creativity! Besos

Anonymous said...

Oh I am laughing. This is hilarious - and the fact that you had to convince him you are not German? GREAT.