Monday, September 15, 2008

Apartment Hunting

Since arriving, I've been exploring the city and using my Spanish. Today, I started the search for "un piso" or apartment. Actually, I'm searching for a room within an apartment. Real estate is at a premium in Madrid and any available place gets swept up quickly. I'm using websites and I also have a list from the university with numbers to call. I'm discovering it's one thing to try and speak and understand a native when you're face to face and a complete different animal on the phone. This morning, I was trying to call Miguel, a man from the list, and the guy who answered was also called Miguel (what are the chances, really?) Unfortunately, I had dialed the wrong number and it took me a few tries to understand the guy was telling me he was not THE Miguel. I'm finding that many activities here, including the apartment search, are both, a lesson in humility and one perseverance.

Universidad Pontificia Comillas

My feet are starting to hurt from all the walking, so this afternoon I found a great park, called Templo de Debod, about a 15 minute walk from my university.

The park has an awesome view of the palace and the cathedral of the patron saint of Madrid.


Proof that the world is, indeed, small: Yesterday, while eating breakfast at the hostel, I met a man who used to live in Milwaukee (until he decided, only a few weeks ago, he wanted to move to Madrid.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I probably would have tried to explain to the same exact thing to Miguel. And Its much more difficult to understand spanish over the phone, Spanish telemarketers call my house a ton of time, and I can barely understand them. So I say "Que?," and then just hang up because they ask for "Senor Andres!"

ashes said...

Today, I tried to call my friend Willie (es americano) and a woman answered in spanish, and I knew in my head it was the wrong number, but I still said "Willie?" and she said, "como?" and then I froze because I couldn't think how to say "wrong number" so I ended lamely with "no, no, ciao" or something to that effect. Ay, Dios mio!

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing to myself about this ordeal, but I will be doing the same thing in Scotland next semester and they speak english...yea.